The Accounting Program prepares students for careers in public, private, and business accounting. It also provides the groundwork for students interested in pursuing a bachelor’s degree at a four-year university. Graduates become valuable management team members who are able to analyze financial information to identify company strengths and weaknesses and perform cost analysis to suggest business improvements.
Students learn to organize accounting data, analyze and record transactions, examine inventory, prepare payrolls, assemble financial statements, and evaluate financial information. The Accounting Program focuses on students understanding manual and computerized accounting systems along with being proficient in spreadsheet and work processing applications.
The need for accounting professionals continues to grow. Accounting Program graduates are employed by public, private, nonprofit, and governmental organizations as accounting clerks, staff accountants, bookkeepers, tax preparers, auditors, and cost accountants. Many graduates also successfully pursue bachelor degrees and Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licenses.
Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will be able to:
- Synthesize financial and other accounting information by preparing financial statements that fairly reflect economic events.
- Apply an appropriate Code of Professional Conduct to resolve ethical conflicts.
- Demonstrate the use of personal and professional information technology applications in the accounting environment.
- Develop well-organized, concise, and grammatically correct written reports that represent accounting information for the appropriate audience.
- Demonstrate an oral presentation on an accounting or related technical matter for the appropriate audience.
Recommended System Requirements
- OS: Windows 10 or higher
- Processor: 2 GHz or higher
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Hard Drive: 100 GB or more
- Graphics: DirectX9 or higher
- Display: 720p
- OS: Mac 10.14 or higher
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or higher
- RAM: 8 GB or more
- Hard Drive: 256 GB or more
- Display: 1280x800 resolution or higher
Chromebooks are not recommended