The one-year certificate program will prepare the student to take the required Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC) certification test to qualify as a police officer in the state of Ohio. The one year program, which consists of 33 credit hours of instruction, hands on training and physical conditioning, exceeds the minimum OPOTC curriculum requirements. Classes are scheduled Monday-Friday from 5-10:30 p.m. with some weekend sessions. Students must attend a mandatory orientation prior to the beginning of the semester. All classes require 100% attendance.
The first step in the application process is to determine program eligibility. The following guidelines established by OPOTC must be met in order to qualify for an “open enrollment” spot in the program (not sponsored by a police department).
- Pass an entrance P.T. test (push-ups, sit-ups and a 1 ½ mile run)
- Citizen of the United States
- 18 years of age
- High school graduate or GED
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- No felony convictions. This may include felony convictions that have been sealed or expunged.
- No domestic violence convictions
An integral part of the Police Academy curriculum is physical fitness and subject control (Defensive Tactics). Police Academy students are required to pass minimum physical conditioning as determined by OPOTC. These include timed pushups and sit-ups, a 1.5-mile run as well as other agility standards.
Those students who fail to meet the physical conditioning standards by the end of the second semester will not be permitted to sit for the certification exam.
In addition to purchasing books the student will need the following equipment:
- Extra magazines/case
Students seeking alternate financing should see the Financial Aid Department.
Police Academy/evening program
Recommended System Requirements
- OS: Windows 10 or higher
- Processor: 2 GHz or higher
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Hard Drive: 100 GB or more
- Graphics: DirectX9 or higher
- Display: 720p
- OS: Mac 10.14 or higher
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or higher
- RAM: 8 GB or more
- Hard Drive: 256 GB or more
- Display: 1280x800 resolution or higher
Chromebooks are not recommended