The Medical Coding Specialist certificate program prepares an individual to assign numerical codes to diagnoses, symptoms, and operative (surgical and invasive) procedures using the ICD-10-CM/PCS (International Classification of Disease - 10th Revision, Clinical Modification and Procedure Coding System) and medical and surgical procedures according to CPT-4 (Current Procedural Terminology-4th Edition), and HCPCS Level II (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System) describing non-physician services. CPT coding is used to describe services provided by physicians and is used for services provided by hospital outpatient, ancillary departments, emergency departments, and other ambulatory care facilities.
The Medical Coding Specialist Certificate of Completion, along with relevant work experience, can prepare a person to take the certification examination offered by the American Health Information Management Association to become a Certified Coding Associate (CCA). After further experience they may apply to become a Certified Coding Specialist (CCS). Individuals skilled in clinical coding are employed as coders for hospitals, physician’s offices, peer review organizations, clinics, consulting firms, and/or insurance companies.
Upon successful completion, the graduate will be able to:
- Apply for the national certification examination for Certified Coding Associate (CCA) through AHIMA.
- Code, classify, and index diagnoses and procedures for reimbursement, standardization, retrieval, and statistical analysis.
- Apply legal principles, policies, regulations, and standards for the control and use of health information.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) principles in a professional work place setting.
Students may visit these websites for a further understanding of the coding certificate process:
Medical Coding Specialist
Recommended System Requirements
- OS: Windows 10 or higher
- Processor: 2 GHz or higher
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Hard Drive: 100 GB or more
- Graphics: DirectX9 or higher
- Display: 720p
- OS: Mac 10.14 or higher
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or higher
- RAM: 8 GB or more
- Hard Drive: 256 GB or more
- Display: 1280x800 resolution or higher
Chromebooks are not recommended